Sunday, June 9, 2013

Introduction

Hi! My name is Loan Tran and I am in the Health Studies (HS) master's program at Texas Woman's University (TWU). I received my bachelor's degree in HS at TWU in the fall of 2008. My concentration within the program is Health Education. My expected graduation date is May of 2014. I hope to teach as an adjunct in the HS department at TWU.

Following my graduation in 2008, I was hired by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a Consumer Safety Officer (CSO). As a CSO I inspected facilities regulated by the FDA, which included food and prescription drug manufacturing firms. In 2009, my career took an interesting turn that I did not expect. I left the FDA and became a Death Investigator for the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office. As a Death Investigator I attend scenes where death has occurred to conduct investigations to determine cause and manner of death. I work at the medical examiner's office full time and I am also a graduate assistant for the HS department. I keep busy! I love my job and find it to be very interesting and rewarding.

I am currently working on developing an anti-bullying program that will take place in middle schools. My passion to develop an anti-bullying program started in 2008. During a business trip I took while I was still working with the FDA, I visited Columbine High School in Colorado. Even though it was many years after the tragic event, I still felt a great deal of sadness and anger. The drive grew stronger after the shooting in Aurora, Colorado and in Newtown, Connecticut at Sandy Hook Elementary. The issue of gun control is extremely controversial, so I will steer clear and focus on mental health and educating young students on the importance of "standing up against bullying."




No comments:

Post a Comment